Tuesday 2 April 2013

Top 3: (mini)series

I've veered off the specific 'film reviewing' thing today to bring you my opinions on brilliant British telly. This is a mix of series/miniseries that I have thoroughly enjoyed over the years. I had the hardest time narrowing it down to 3, so I've put a list of other favourites down below. Enjoy.

*edit, 24/03* Also, I forgot to actually publish this... SOZ
*edit 2/04* can you tell how much I procrastinate? I sorrys*

BBC SHERLOCK



It is no secret that Sherlock is my favourite thing in the history of ever. As a life long fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's hero, it is almost expected of me. It is a brilliant adaptation. And people who don't like it? ANDERSON. It is the most well cast, beautifully filmed, well written show I've ever had the pleasure to watch.
If you're an Anderson, or live under a rock, I'll summarise it for you; BBC's Sherlock is 9 hours of adventure, wit and "feels". I love how well the stories have integrated into modern day London etc. and how much more relatable it has become. Not only that, but the characters are still perfect mirrors of Conan Doyle's - Sherlock is still cold, completely ahead of his time and very sociopathic; Moriarty is possibly even more terrifying than the book version; John is always loyal and completely amazed every time Sherlock breathes. One small thing that tends to get my goat, however, is how useless John seems to be. It's hard to explain without a fandom ROARING at you but I personally think that John deserves more time in the limelight than he has been given so far. He doesn't use his smarts enough because he's in the shadows of Sherlock's genius, and I don't think it's fair. He's an experienced medical man, and he must have some sort of deductive powers somewhere. We get glimpses of these, but they're always WRONG! or are used to tease the audience in an "you thought you'd got it, but really you didn't, sorry" kind of way. Watson is not supposed to be an injection of comedy, he is the narrator of the stories. Without Watson, there are no stories. Its not entirely awful, because he's probably the most relatable character in the show (other than Molly and Lestrade, the 'normal' people) but I'd just like to see more badass deductions from John in future if that's possible. Pls and thnku.
There are plenty of other things I could say but I could go on for hours and hours and I'd completely lose my train of thought so just go and watch it over and over and just marvel at how well done it is and try not to cry your eyes out. LATERZ.


ANY HUMAN HEART



I watched this because I had heard about who had been cast as the leads and am quite a big fan of actors like Jim Broadbent, Matthew Macfadyen and Hayley Atwell (to name a few), so I read about it and deemed it worthy of watching. It was beautiful. I loved the characters and the stories and how logical Logan Mountstuart's way of thinking is. I, too, have adopted the "it's just luck in the end" approach to life now. I'm a huge fan of period pieces, and this series, in four episodes, spans most of the 20th Century and it really opens your eyes to just how much things can change in a few years, how people adapt to the changes and then change themselves. I'll be honest: I watched it, fell in love with it, read the book, rewatched it and was a little disappointed that it wasn't as good as the book. That often happens. I guess that the book was just so brilliant that it was difficult to compress it down to 6 hours of footage but I appreciate that - at the end of the day it's still a fantastic series worth watching.


SPOOKS



I've lived with Spooks for most of my life. It was one of those programmes that I distinctly remember my dad watching without realising that I was in the room, being SCARRED by what I was watching. Whenever I used to think of Spooks I thought of that poor lady getting her face cooked in a chip fryer. But I'd watched it from the beginning, and it stuck with me. Programmes like this really grab my attention because they're fictional but blatantly based on real life experiences. Spooks has taught me that we aren't ever really truly safe (which is a bit depressing) but we are protected by these people and we have no idea who they are. Nice. Cool.
To me, the first "generation" of agents will always be the best - the golden trio (Tom, Zoe and Danny) are the original team and nothing will ever compare to them. That being said, I still love the other teams and actors that followed the enigmatic Matthew Macfadyen, Keeley Hawes and David Oyelowo (whose name I KNOW how to pronounce). Watching the final series last year absolutely broke my heart, but it definitely went out with a bang and there may be a film in the future so, my childhood may not be dead yet.

Others I'd recommend: DANCING ON THE EDGE (2013) - it very nearly made the top 3, Restless (2012), Ripper Street (2012), Band of Brothers (2001), Elementary (2012 -), Frozen Planet (2011 -), BBC Wallander (2008 -) , Call The Midwife (2012 -), Silk (2011 -)Pride and Prejudice (1995), State of Play (2003), Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes (2006-2010), Mad Dogs (2011 -), Zen (2011), Skins (2007 -), Shameless UK (2004-2013), Merlin (2008-2012) and, of course, DOCTOR WHO (forever).

0 comments:

Post a Comment